Company History | Visual History
Glenn and Lois Long started Long Mechanical in 1949 out of their home in Northville, Michigan. Glenn would make the service calls and Lois answered the phone and took care of the company books. As the business began to grow, in 1954 they constructed an office, showroom and warehouse facility on Seven Mile Road. Additional employees were hired to service their growing number of customers. The showroom allowed them to display household appliances and plumbing fixtures. In addition to private homes, they began to provide plumbing service to local offices and businesses.
In 1964, Glenn Long acquired property in downtown Northville and a new building was constructed on Dunlap Street. The large showroom highlighted plumbing fixtures and parts for plumbing repairs. In 1970 a portion of the showroom was dedicated to bath accessories, which laid the groundwork for today's outstanding Long Bath Design Gallery.
Continued business growth built on customer satisfaction led to the construction of the current office and showroom on Main Street in downtown Northville in 1974.
In 1982 Long Mechanical started operations in Tampa, FL under JR Long, Inc. Some of the major plumbing and pipefitting projects performed by JR Long, Inc. included a major facility at the Tampa International Airport, the Tampa Convention Center, and numerous local schools and medical facilities. In 2004, after twenty-two years of operation, JR Long, Inc. was sold to three current employees and continues operations today.
From the little mom and pop operation that began more than sixty years ago, Long Mechanical has grown into a multi-million dollar private corporation, consisting of four divisions with more than 70 professional team members.
Phone: 248-349-0373 | Fax: 248-349-3869
190 East Main Street, Northville, MI 48167
Copyright © 2009. Long Mechanical, Inc. Privacy Statement